Whether you’re an utterly devoted, daily lipstick-wearer, or more of a reserved-for-special-occasions kind of girl, there’s one thing that all can agree on: how beautiful, yet incredibly difficult it is to rock a full-on pigmented pout for an entire day.
Committing to lipstick, be it for a full day or just a night out, is practically equivalent to strapping yourself into the seat of an emotional rollercoaster (unless you’re Taylor Swift and you’ve got it down pat, darn it).
We aren’t afraid to admit that we tend to hoard makeup remover wipes in case of emergency — especially for the taxing situations that call for a bold, cherry-red lip.
Here, we chronicle the 15 emotional stages that (we) lipstick lovers go through on a daily basis.
1. Deciding if your outfit calls for “oxblood” or “burnt sienna” takes forever.
2. No one appreciates a brand-spanking-new tube of lipstick like you do.
3. Tracing your Cupid’s bow requires surgeon-level precision.
4. But once you master it, you’re basically ready to take over the world.
5. Until it’s time for your a.m. caffeine fix…
6. You’re forced to take drastic measures to ensure your lipstick stays in place through every sip.
7. Forget saying hi. You forgo greeting anyone in fear of leaving behind a lipstick trace.
8. That awkward moment when someone tells you “you have a lil’ something on your teeth.”
9. You’ve figured out a way to make your lipstick semi-last through lunch.
10. And because of your know-how, a quick touch-up afterwards is all you need.
11. The backseat has become a safe haven for re-applications.
12. Until your BFF hits a bump in the road, that is.
13. You manage to forgive her. After all, there’s no better time than when your crew is feeling themselves.
14. Removing a matte formula proves more difficult than keeping your color in check all day long.
15. Even after everything, you still love a good lipstick.
More from Teen Vogue
Check out these videos for more lipstick tips and tricks: