Swimwear designer and model Tori Praver boosts her mood in the morning by getting in touch with her surfer-girl side.
Praver on the way to the shore near her Malibu home. Photo by Clarke Tolton
This article originally appeared in the January/February 2016 issue of SELF.
“Seeing the ocean when I wake up instantly makes me happy,” says Praver, who grew up catching waves in Maui and now lives near the water in Malibu, California. Praver channels that sporty, beachy vibe into her swimwear line, which mixes athletic silhouettes with lush colors. Mornings at home with her husband, pro surfer Danny Fuller, and their 2-year-old daughter, Ryan, are plenty active. Most days, she gets up at 7:30 a.m., grabs a slice of cinnamon-raisin toast with almond butter, then heads to a workout: either yoga, a circuit training class like Gabrielle Reece’s HIGHX or, if there’s time (and the tide is high), surfing. “I like to switch up my fitness so I don’t get bored!” Praver says. After a quick shower, she rubs on coconut oil (“It’s the best moisturizer”) and gets dressed. “My go-to look is jeans and a T-shirt, but I’m so indecisive,” Praver admits. “I’m like, I just need to pick something and get out of the house!”
5 Things That Get Her Up And Out
1. Botanical Scents “I use lavender oil in my diffuser in the morning. The smell is calming but energizing.”
2. Fitspo “I take Gabrielle Reece’s HIGHX class. She’s such an amazing athlete.”
Top Tori Praver, $110; ShopIHeartHanalei.com bottom Tori Praver, $121; Fwrd.com Sneakers $620; GoldenGooseDeluxeBrand.com . Photos by Devon Jarvis
3. Design Ideas “The colors (above) in my collections are inspired by my travels—this shade reminds me of the sunset in Mexico.”
4. Postworkout Smoothies “I whip up kale, coconut butter and frozen bananas. It’s a way to get my greens and nutrients with a sweet taste.”
5. Comfy Kicks “I love the worn-in look of these (above). On chilly mornings, I’ll wear them to and from yoga.”
Top: tank $12; Topshop.com Bikini top $110, and bottom $110, Tori Praver; FrankieMiami.com sneakers $680; GoldenGooseDeluxeBrand.com