Since news of adult film star Stormy Daniels‘s alleged 2006 affair with Donald Trump broke earlier this year, neither he nor wife Melania Trump has acknowledged or responded to the rumors. The only comment the White House has made about the matter came from press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders earlier this month when she said during a news briefing that the POTUS denies the affair took place and that his settlement with Daniels “was won in the President’s favor.” On Sunday night, however, shortly after Daniels’s bombshell 60 Minutes interview with Anderson Cooper aired, the First Lady’s team finally commented on the matter, though somewhat indirectly.
“While I know the media is enjoying speculation & salacious gossip, Id like to remind people there’s a minor child who’s [sic] name should be kept out of news stories when at all possible,” Stephanie Grisham, Melania’s communications director, tweeted on Sunday, presumably referring to the Trumps’ 12-year-old son Barron. The alleged affair between Trump and Daniels would have taken place right around the time of Barron’s birth, about a year after the real estate mogul married Melania. In the 60 Minutes interview, Daniels claimed that when she asked Trump about his new marriage, he “brushed it aside” and said, “Oh yeah, yeah, you know, don’t worry about that. We don’t even — we have separate rooms and stuff,” according to CNN.
Of course, there is another young child who should be left out of this mess: Daniels’s own young daughter. During Sunday’s interview, she claimed that in 2011, when her daughter was still an infant, a man approached her in public to warn her not to talk about the Trump affair. “A guy walked up on me and said to me, ‘Leave Trump alone. Forget the story.’ And then he leaned around and looked at my daughter and said, ‘That’s a beautiful little girl. It’d be a shame if something happened to her mom.’ And then he was gone,” Daniels told Cooper, according to CNN.
Since Trump first announced his candidacy for president, the Trump family, as well as those on the other side of the political spectrum, have spoken out to protect the privacy of Barron, Trump’s grandchildren, and Sasha and Malia Obama. In August 2017, Chelsea Clinton, who has defended Barron several times in the past year, did so in response to a Twitter troll, writing in a tweet, “Dear Matty-Barron is A KID. No child should be talked about in the below manner-in real life or online. And for an adult to do so? For shame.” Shortly after, Melania tweeted back, “Thank you @ChelseaClinton – so important to support all of our children in being themselves! #StopChildhoodBullying.”
Read more about Melania Trump:
Now, watch Tyra Banks try nine things she’s never tried before: